Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Fort Dix (no dirty jokes, I promise)

I have yet to comment on the situation with the 6 Islamic radicals who decided that they were going to storm Fort Dix.


All I have to really say about it is: Thank goodness they were stupid enough to turn their jihad videos in to a photo place for conversion to DVD.


The story practically writes itself. You can't make this stuff up, folks.

Here's an article in the Concord Monitor.


I wish I had more to add, but I'm kind of speechless.


Edit: McSnee pointed something else out about the situation that I can't stop giggling about. And I quote:

So, yesterday the big news was that we had won a MASSIVE VICTORY in the GLOBAL WAR ON TERROR, arresting terrorists who were ready to STRIKE RIGHT HERE IN THE U.S.

Now, it's certainly a good thing that these guys are off the street. But let's not overestimate the potential impact here.

First off, these guys apparently made a video of themselves chanting jihadist slogans and firing weapons into the air, and then took it to a photo shop to have the video converted to DVD. So, already, we should be clued into the fact that these guys are not very bright.

Second, what was their plan? The five of them were going to attack Fort Dix. Fort Dix, for those of you not paying attention, is a military base. It is, in fact, a military base where they train soldiers to fight insurgents in Iraq. I don't know how many soldiers are on this base at any given time, but I'd say it's a safe bet that there are, at a bare minimum, several hundred and probably more likely several thousand. I'd be further willing to bet that quite a few of them are armed at all times.

Now, again: it's great that we got these guys, and they probably could have done some damage. But let's not blow this out of proportion. Five or six guys against a well-armed Army training camp? Probably not gonna stand much of a chance.

... Then again, if you voted for George Bush, maybe these guys do seem like terrorist masterminds.

LOL. Seriously, guys. THAT made me giggle.

4 comments:

Tam said...

"I'd be further willing to bet that quite a few of them are armed at all times."

If there were five loaded weapons on that base other than the gate guards M9 pistols, I'd be shocked.

Bonnie said...

I agree...but the way he worded the whole thing tickled my funny bone.

I will go ahead and say that I'm really glad that the thing was averted, and that these guys were total idiots to begin with.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I'd be shocked if the gate guards pistols/rifles were loaded. Our military does NOT trust soldiers with arms at any time, with two exceptions: when their feet hit the battlefield, and guarding nuclear weapons. Their is no access to guns on a base. They are all locked up in the armory. They are the equivalent of the schools, "victim disarmament zones". Most base commanders require personally owned guns to be locked in the armory, if they live on base. Even with a CCW, some commanders order off base personnel to not carry.
BTW, it's been reported that except for the one goof with the video store, the investigation found them to be a serious threat, with good training and logistics planning.
I do wish the part about the video store had not been released by the feds. That was STUPID.

Bonnie said...

I'm glad that there are knowledgeable people here that are more than willing to correct errors in my posts. :-) As I told Tam, it wasn't so much what he said that made me laugh...it was how he said it.

In reading the article, I did notice that they kind of...uh...PUSHED the "stupid stupid stupid" angle a bit. I mean, it was monumentally retarded for them to turn in the video, so regardless of how tactically advanced they were, that one move fucked them over, so obviously that sort of planning wasn't in their repertoire. But I agree with you that if they mentioned it at all, it should have been as "inside information was leaked accidentally by the group, which led to their arrest". Period. This way, though, I guess people get to feel superior and like the threat is diverted for another (insert amount of time here).