Sunday, May 6, 2007

As my resolve comes crashing down...

...and my distaste for the current news rises, I've decided to bite the bullet and humanize myself a little more for the 3 people who peruse this blog regularly. Ambulance Driver posted a meme on his journal, and invited anyone who was interested to participate and then post a link in his comments. So...I decided to open up a bit and let you guys know some random facts about me. Some aren't particularly interesting, but neither is CMT, and they have a lot of viewers, so what have I got to lose, right?

The rules are as follows:

Here are the rules: Each player starts with 7 random facts/habits about themselves. People who are tagged need to write on their own blog about their seven things and add a copy of these rules. THEN, you need to choose 7 people to tag and list their names. Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them that they have been tagged and to read your blog!

Okie dokey. Here goes:

1. This being the first fact, I should probably ease you guys into things, but I'll remove any pretense and just say that, ever since I was a very small child, I've had a low opinion of people in general. I wasn't aware of it when I was younger, but I've been told stories. It's carried over into my adult life, where I maintain that individuals are fine, but people as a whole frickin' suck. Crowds suck, mob rule sucks. Give me a small group over the general population any day.

2. Animals, on the other hand, reduce me to a pile of gibberish. Cats, guinea pigs, and horses, particularly. Frogs and toads have been known to make me squee audibly. The thing I like about animals is that they're not going to act any way that they don't really feel. You can tell when a dog's trying to be sneaky, and when you call them on it, they renege and go back to trying to play with you. A cat's always going to act slightly standoffish, but you expect that and deal with it. In return, animals like me. I think it's a good trade-off. I will likely be the crazy cat woman at the end of the block that kids say is rumored to be a child-eating witch, but that's okay. :-) I don't like kids, anyway.

3. Bodily functions of any sort (that don't merely involve air) gross me out. This is why, even though I have an uncanny knack for medical things and figuring out bodily processes and biology (which drives my doctor insane, because they don't like me going in, telling them what I think is wrong, and being correct), I would make a really crappy medic/doctor/nurse. Someone pukes? I'm right next to them, yakking. A child poops in their diaper? I find someone, ANYONE, else who can take care of it. The smell of pee disturbs me. Spit kind of makes me want to hork. My nephew will not go on any extended trips with me until he's potty-trained. My sister thinks I'm nuts, but I've made my position on excrement very clear. "It's different when it's your own child", eh? Well, I'm not sure if I'll ever want to find that out.

4. Like the rainbow theme? Moving on...I have red hair, but I don't think there's a lick of Irish in me. I'm French (mother's side), German (father's side), and American Indian (both sides...I'm 1/8, but can't prove it with paperwork, so I'm paying for school with loans. bastards.). It's also rumored that my dad's side of the family is a direct descendant of Frederick the Great, who, if you know your history, was the last ruler of Prussia before that country was divided amongst the Germanic countries. I'd be a shitty princess, so it's probably just as well.

5. My mom likes to tell people I was singing (at 7 mos.) before I could talk (at 8mos.). I like to believe that it's true. I'm a singin' fool, and am quite good, if you believe most of the people who've heard me and choose to comment. The only recordings I have for general consumption, however, are drunken karaoke, so I will not be sharing those with you at this time. Maybe at some other point, when another opportunity to make myself look like something other than a conspiracy theorist comes up.

6. On that same token, I will listen to almost anything, as long as it's pleasant to my ears and fun to sing. I have an extensive collection of boy-band pop and Britney Spears, because, even though it's inane and the lyrics suck, it's still fun to sing along to (and a blast to sing at karaoke for laughs). I even sing along to different instrument parts in classical music. I played the French horn for 13 years (meaning I still play every so often, and have been since I was 11), in orchestras and various bands, so picking out different instruments is something I learned to do with relative ease. Can I cram one more random fact into this theme by saying that I'm *thisclose* to having perfect pitch? My note-naming is skewed by the transposition of a French horn. Other than that, I can tell when anything's out of tune, and if you name a song, I can sing it in the exact key without much thought.

7. I have endometriosis, and it affects pretty much everything I do. My personal relationships are affected by my inability to participate in some activities, and I spend several days every month nearly bedridden by pain. However, because I don't have health insurance (and am not eligible for any sort of aid due to my lack of pregnancy), and can't afford to go to the OB-GYN every couple of months (nor can I afford the laparoscopy necessary to properly diagnose and "excavate" the scar tissue), I'm bucking up and dealing with it pretty well. I will, however, explain to anyone who will listen what the disease is, how it happens, who it can affect, what treatments are available, and what non-medicinal treatments you can utilize in order to ease your suffering a bit. This is why that FDA bullshit pisses me off so much: I use vitamins and natural supplements to help deal with the symptoms a little better, and whether it's a placebo effect or not, it works for me, and I'd like to be able to continue to exercise my right to self-medicate by natural means.

So I'm supposed to tag 7 people, but I don't think that many bloggers even come over this direction, so I'll just copy AD and say that if you'd like to do the meme, be my guest, and you can post a link to your finished factoids in my comments section.



Bonus fact: In a lovely shit-brown color...I'm a card-carrying member of the libertarian party (I use lowercase because I'm not a fanatic, nor am I under the false impression that a "Libertopia" would solve all of our problems), but I describe myself as moderate. I see where some instances of control are necessary by virtue of how humans act. I'm not sure which ones, but somewhere in my head is a little voice that's naturally suspicious of letting people have too much control over what they do, particularly in a country that's sue-happy and whose citizens are used to getting their own way, even if it is an illusion. HOWEVER, I'm of the firm opinion that, if an action is taken in which the only person who is harmed is the person undertaking the action, then that action is not to be regulated by the government. You know what I call rampant drug use? Natural selection.

No comments: