Friday, May 11, 2007

Am I hearing this correctly?!? LIVE Coverage of the Pope in Brazil.

The canonization of Antônio de Sant'Anna Galvão is on TV right now. Don't ask why I'm watching it. Morbid curiosity and inability to sleep, I guess.


Anyway, what struck me is that there's this guy chanting musically, with the ENTIRE audience (peppered with nuns) singing "Alleluiah" back at him.

It took me a bit to figure out what they were doing, because all I could hear was REPETITION OMG, but apparently what they do is have this guy read off the name of every person who's ever been canonized.

...

I'm sorry, to each his own, but that just struck me as weird.


Now the Pope is reading something. He doesn't even have to hold his own missal - two altar boys surround him, one with the missal, and one with a microphone. They've just put his Pope hat on (to hide his bunny ears, presumably).


I don't understand Catholicism.



THEY'RE CARRYING A TROWEL ON A GOLDEN TRAY! WTF?


The nuns in Brazil wear blue. And the Pope is blessing everyone who carried a trowel or goblet or sacred screw or whatever that stuff they had on pillows was.


I'm going to change the channel now. This is too much.


EDIT at 9:40am: OMG IT'S STILL GOING ON!

Little-known fact about me: I was Baptised as a Catholic. I started thinking things were fishy when I was the ripe old age of 5. I'm a born skeptic, obviously. But DAMN...a 2+ hour ceremony? I mean, I know it's the Pope, and I know they're canonizing someone, but can't they just send out a memo?

No comments: